Monday, March 5, 2012

THIS CLOSE

As the title of this post suggests, I am THIS CLOSE to wrapping up my first draft of After the Dream.  So close I can taste it, sweet like chocolate after a long, rough day. 

I actually almost finished it last night, but after steadily writing for about three hours I was spent.  And it was getting late, and I have learned I need to turn my brain off before I can actually fall asleep.  This means turning off the laptop at least an hour before I plan to go to bed. 

It didn't matter last night, though.  Even though I shut down over an hour before we headed upstairs, my mind was still filled with ideas for the final few pages, as well as all the revisions I plan on doing.  Like, I'm not even letting my readers take a look at it til I go through and revise on my own first, because I know there's a lot I need to add to tighten up the story, add to the conflict, etc.

In addition to writing almost 3,200 words yesterday (!!), I also mapped out some more family tree stuff.  I had to in order to figure out what the hell I was doing.  I had papers and notes everywhere.  I think it makes sense now...but I'll need my readers to tell me for sure.  If it's too complicated then it just won't work.  I'm not out to confuse people, but to entertain and intrigue them! 

Also, today is the day I'm supposed to have a phone call with the guy from the publishing company.  I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see what happens.  I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say to the guy, considering ATD is not even close to being ready for submission yet.  And if this really is a "pay to publish" kind of deal, well then, no thanks.  I'll post an update about the call later this week (if it actually happens).

Here's to completing crappy first drafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment