Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Work it

Last night I attended my first spinning and pilates classes in about a year. Eeeek, a year?? I honestly can't even believe it's been that long. Last fall I gave up the fitness classes to take ballet, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I will always, always love dance, but the ol' body just ain't what she used to be. My knees, which I have never had trouble with, started bothering me to the point where getting up out of my chair at work became difficult. I quit going after about 6 classes to give them a break, and then the holidays came around and I quickly lost any motivation to go back to class. I tend to hibernate in the winter. And I also tend to gain like 5-10 pounds, shockingly enough.

Spinning is a fantastic, incredible workout. I feel like I get into this weird zone when I'm on that bike pedaling away. Is it hard? Yes. Do I feel like I want to die sometimes? Absolutely. Do I sweat like a hog? You betcha. But I actually kinda love it. It's the one workout where I feel I really do push myself to do more. And I have always been a huge fan of pilates. But last night for the first 20minutes of pilates class I just could not for the life of me get into a groove with it. I felt clumsy and unflexible and kept falling over, until we finally did the floor work. Then things started going better.

Today I feel pretty good. My sit bones are incredibly sore from that damn bike seat, but otherwise I'm all right. So far, anyway. I'm sure at some point I'll start to notice my stomach muscles are sore, too- that will probably happen tomorrow. I'm just glad to be getting back into the swing of working out.

Exercising is a lot like writing for me. Once I stop for a while, it's extremely hard to get back into it. Falling out of any routine always sets me back. Just like I have to make time for exercising, I have to make time for writing weekly to keep myself in shape creatively.

P.S. I forgot to mention my word count goal for the week in yesterday's post. I'm going to set it at 2500, because I'm not entirely sure what this Sunday will bring, and that's usually my most productive day.

1 comment:

  1. sit bones, ha!

    and yes, write more! i'm totally into it and wanna keep reading! :o)

    ReplyDelete