Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the new WIP

As I sit and wait for a few more responses to the queries I sent out last week (and keep my mantra going in my head - "I will NOT get discouraged, I will NOT get discouraged"), I've been thinking a lot about my work-in-progress. Which, quite honestly, has not progressed very much lately, unfortunately. I need a good day to sit and write for a few hours. I was hoping to get to do that over my little mini-spring break, but sadly that just didn't happen.

But I have some pretty cool ideas for this one! I've already written a little teaser for it, which might actually turn into a query at some point. Of course, having only around 5000 words or so written, I'm clearly nowhere near the point of querying, but writing the teaser actually sort of helped me figure out where I want to go with it. Here's what I've written so far:

History cannot repeat itself.

Riley wouldn't let it. He won't let the girl he loves die by his own hand all over again.

The problem is, he doesn't know how to stop it. He's only remembering bits and pieces each night as he dreams. And the first time it happened was over fifty years ago.

Ella is no dummy; she knows something's been bothering Riley since the start of the school year. But she has no idea how big a risk she's taking as she tries to get closer to him. She can't help it. She's inexplicably drawn to him, and no matter how hard Riley tries to keep his distance, for her safety, he's drawn to her too.

Despite his best efforts, history might just repeat itself.


So there you have it. Obviously, I still have a lot of details to work out, a lot of how's and why's and when's, but every day I find myself thinking more and more about this one.

What do you think? Confused? Intrigued? Perhaps a bit of both??

Today's thing that makes me happy:
Cozumel's cheese dip (NOM! And yes, I'm aware that many of my happy things are food-related...)

3 comments:

  1. intrigued...reminds me a LITTLE bit of Hancock...except the whole super hero thing...and the whole remembering reincarnation thing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw Hancock...so I can honestly say that's not what inspired this one. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy!!! Sounds very interesting! Can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete