Friday, October 1, 2010

TGIF and stuff

I did it. I wrote the big bad scene I was dreading. Sigh. It really did hurt. But now that it's out of the way, I can move on with the rest. I can feel the story starting to come to a close. Well, almost. There are still a lot of things that need to happen. For the first time ever, I actually wrote out a timeline of events, just so I wouldn't forget how everything should unfold. Usually I just write as I go- and that sounds weird, but do you know what I mean? I just write what I feel should be happening as I move along with the story. But now that it's coming to the end (sorta), I felt like I had to stay on track. I'm right around 60,000 words now. 100,000 was my original goal, but I think 80-90,000 would be perfectly acceptable, especially for YA.

So, now that I'm getting closer to ending it (sob), I've been on the internets researching queries and agents and all that fun stuff. All I have to say is thank god for the internet. Seriously. I've learned SO many interesting things about writing queries. The query is almost as important as the story itself, since it's the first thing an agent sees, it's what makes them curious enough to ask for a partial or full manuscript. I have mine written already, for the most part, but I'm sure I'll be tweaking it as I get more information about how to write a good one. I found a site called Query Shark yesterday in which an agent takes submitted queries, and with the author's blessing, basically rips them apart. It may seem a little harsh, but she's just offering awesome information about what NOT to do (she also will look at each revised query the author sends in, and comment on those as well). I also read some stats about how many queries a typical agency will get in a month- the number was around 1200. Around 100 were thrown out without being read due to the author not following submission requirements (And, really? You're not going to read the directions??), and out of the remaining, only around 40 were offered requests for partials or full manuscripts. Those numbers are, um, kinda terrifying. But I believe in my work. I just hope someone else does too.

In other news, it's Friday and the weekend is almost here! Tonight I'll be enjoying some quality time with my seeester in law while the boys make noise in the basement. Tomorrow is Josie time. My husband has plans with a friend in the evening, so I'll be enjoying my couch, DVR and some vino. And of course, I'll be plugging away at In My Mind's Eye. Happy weekend everyone!

1 comment: