Monday, October 25, 2010

The costume catastrophe

So, we have a big Halloween party coming up this weekend, and Dan and I finally had some time to go out looking for costumes this past Saturday. Hoooo boy, you guys. I struck out big time.

I've always had pretty good costumes. Ok, well, the years I've had parties to go to, I usually have no problem coming up with something somewhat original and/or creative. Until last year, I had never gotten a store-bought costume (and that one I actually borrowed from a friend- a super cute "beer girl" outfit, thanks Shell!). One year I was the Britney Spears circa "Baby One More Time" (it was the year this video came out, mind you...doing Britney now is just a little, well, sad). I had that entire costume DOWN- from the fuzzy pink hair ties to the black suede loafers. It was perfection. Another year I was an 80s prom queen. Picture a lovely baby pink satin & white lace assymetrical dress, complete with blue eye shadow, big hair, and lacy fingerless gloves. There was my 50s housewife costume, an adorable blue poofy dress I wore one of my gram's aprons with and carried around a martini glass and a feather duster. My last "good" costume, in which I won Most Original Costume at our work party, was my "cast-off bachelorette" costume. I wore a fancy black dress, taped bloody gauze around my wrists, smeared my eye makeup and carried around a dead rose. Again, perfection.

Where has my creativity gone?? This past weekend we went to three different Halloween stores to look at costumes, and absolutely nothing struck me as something I'd want to wear. Everything for girls is soooo ridiculously slutty. And I realize that Halloween is one of the days where girls get an excuse to show some skin, but come on. Slutty Big Bird?? Really?? Not to mention the costumes I tried on, which all cost between $40-60, were all complete pieces of trash. They fit awful, were see-through, scratchy, uncomfortable, etc. I was finally able to pick up the costume I originally saw at Target, which is cute but nothing spectacular. At least it seems somewhat well-made.

Next year, I am vowing to do something on my own again. Which means I'll have to start brainstorming in like August, apparently. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment