Friday, January 7, 2011

Not a Night Owl

FACT: I write the best stuff late at night. Usually while I'm lying in bed, sans lap top or even paper and a pen. It's like words and stories just come to me while I'm lying there attempting to drift off to sleep. I try to take a photocopy in my mind to remember everything I was just thinking of so I can get it written down the next day. Have I mentioned I have a terrible memory? So yea, this doesn't tend to work out so great.

Last night was no exception. Yesterday I came up with what I think could be a very interesting, different type of story (read: no fangs, howling, wings or halos). I was dwelling on it most of the afternoon; playing with different scenarios of how I could make it work. And I'm still not 100% sure it WILL work, but I have the opening chapter already partly written. Well, in my head, anyway- if I can remember what I was mentally writing last night. I also have a title for it, which is I know is totally jumping the gun, but whatevs.

Tonight the husband is headed out with a buddy, so I'll have some alone time to try to get this new idea more fully formed. Also on the agenda this evening: beginning my research and my (nerd alert!) spreadsheet on literary agencies and agents I think might be a good fit for me. The second big revision of In My Mind's Eye is with all my "editors", so while I'm waiting for their feedback I might as well be productive. And from what I've been reading, it's a good idea to start on your next novel while you're in the querying process. If the first one doesn't end up going anywhere, at least you've already got something else in the works. Something hopefully better than your first go at it...

Happy Friday, kids. I've been looking forward to the end of this long week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment