Friday, January 21, 2011

blah. meh. sigh.

I spent more time researching agents this week and adding to my ever-growing list. It's still only at 15, but at least I've about doubled what I first had. Holy hell is that a job in and of itself. Thank god for the website AgentQuery.com, which lets you search literary agencies by genre. However, it's really not 100% accurate. Some of the agencies that show up for young adult don't actually represent any young adult authors at all. So I spend at least a half an hour on each agency's website, searching through all the current authors, the agents & what they each represent, choosing an agent I feel would fit me, and then researching all the submission guidelines. Which, of course, are pretty much different for each and every agent/agency. But it'll definitely help when I start sending out my manuscript. And that, my friends, will be a whole new job in itself as well.

And I'm not gonna lie, more and more I start to doubt that this book is even going to go anywhere. I really, really want to stay positive, it's just difficult. Sometimes I feel like...I don't know, like I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into. That I'm fooling myself into believing someday, albeit probably someday far off, I could actually write novels full time. I am so far less talented than so many of the authors out there.

But then again, I won't know til I try. I just have to make sure I'm ready to dust myself off from all the rejection, pick myself up and continue working on my new manuscript instead. And start hoping all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment