Monday, February 6, 2012

I want more

A thought struck me the other day, probably a result of reading two books in a row that really stuck with me (John Green's The Fault in our Stars, which I know I haven't shut up about in three weeks, and then Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races, which made me want to go out and learn how to ride a horse even though I would die from my allergies to them. But hmm, maybe I wouldn't be allergic to waters horses?  Worth a shot).

So what I decided this weekend was this:  In the end, I just want to write a book that matters.  At least a little bit.  At least to one person.

When I first set out to write a book, I just wanted to tell a story, nothing heavy or serious, just something to help someone escape for a little while. 

But now I want more. 

I still want the first part- reading is all about escapism, after all.  But now I want my words to resonate with people.  For my characters to stay with them long after they've finished the book.  For it to make them think and feel.

Some of this also may have stemmed from the fact that I reread certain parts of the WIP last week and realized how far away I am from the story being done.  Not word count-wise, obviously, but in adding more to it, giving it more "oomph", if you will.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still proud of how far I've come with this one and I still think it has real potential.  And I plan on making it so much prettier when I set out and start revising it for real.

I just want it to be...more.  If that makes sense.

Sigh.  All day today I've felt like I am battling a case of the Mondays.

Anyway, I probably could've written a bit more last week, but a few revisions knocking around in the ol' noggin were demanding to be let out so I spent some time going back and adding in a few things here and there.  I still did pretty well though:

Total Words Written: 2,846
Total Hours Spent Writing: 4 hours
Total Word Count Overall: 68,487

It's good to be inspired.  And that's what all these amazing authors do- inspire me.  With every great book I read, I just become more and more antsy to reach my own goals, to get my own words out there into the world.

I hope someday it'll happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment