Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Speech I Needed to Hear - by Sara Zarr

Please, if you know me at all, take a moment to read this AH-MAY-ZING speech by Sara Zarr, author of the fabulous Sweethearts (I heart you, Cameron Quick!). She gave this speech at a Writer's Conference recently and it almost brought me to tears last night. It's so relevant to what I'm going through right now as an unpublished, wannabe-author.

Sara Zarr's speech

I kinda love this quote:

"Creative lives require us to be blind optimists. Keep writing the stories you want to write. You have to have faith that what matters to you will be a story others want to read. You have to have faith that if you show up to the page, something will happen. That all the stories haven't been used up by other artists."

And this one:

"Nurturing a creative life doesn't happen with the wave of a magic wand. It's not about changing the content of our lives but how we experience them, putting ourselves in a safe place where we can nurture our gifts."

Amen, Sara.

Everyone, go read Sweethearts. Like NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment