Monday, February 7, 2011

Right on target

I know I've mentioned here before that I'm not a huge procrastinator. That being the case, I'm thankfully moving right along with my manuscript and my goals for it. I think when I originally finished the very first draft back in early November, I wanted to start the submission process by the end of January. Well, two more drafts later and I realize that might've been a lofty goal.

Writing my query letter was seriously one of the hardest and most painful things I have ever done. Thanks to the good people over at AgentQueryConnect, about a week after I posted it I finally have a clean, finished version. It changed dramatically from where it began, but I think I have a winner now. Time will tell- if it captures the attention of some agents, then I'll know! If I get rejection after rejection, then I'll know it needs revamping.

So this weekend I spent some time working on line edits from my readers. I want to thank Debbie, Colleen, Karyn, & Holly for catching all those typos and missed words! Clearly I think faster than I type at times. I also made a couple minor changes to the story; just a few things that were nagging at me after I went through the whole query writing process. It's funny how just going through that made me see some of the holes in my story.

I have to reread the whole thing again and try to tighten and clean it up as much as possible. I want to rewrite certain sections that have always left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth- they just don't sound "pretty" enough, if that makes sense. Lastly, I need to write my synopsis, which I plan on trying to do as I reread. I have to read up a bit on how to write a good one, cuz I have no idea where to even begin or how to keep it to 3-5 pages. THAT should be interesting.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm on track to get the submission process started by the end of this month. I just got butterflies in my stomach when I typed that! I can't believe I'm really going through with this! I honestly had no idea I would ever even get THIS far. Time to grow some thick skin and get ready for rejection! But hopefully there will be at least a couple agents out there that want to hear more.

1 comment:

  1. you're doing great! i love seeing this progress, it's just so awesome! i've never known a writer, and i love that you're so positive yet careful at the same time. i can NOT wait to read the final copy! i can't wait to see the changes since this last draft i just read. hope ANY of my stuff was a little helpful to you!

    ReplyDelete