Thursday, March 17, 2011

So close, but yet...

My latest round of revisions are complete. My devoted readers have the manuscript in their paws yet again. My advice to them this time was to read it like it's already a "real" book. Read it for pleasure, for the content. Don't worry so much about the commas and punctuation stuff- although if there are any big, glaring mistakes, of course let me know. But just read through it like you would any other book. Then tell me what you think. Of course, it's kinda a moot point for them, considering they already know how it ends.

I have my first ever writer's conference next weekend, so I figured I'll wait to get through that and then I'll start the submission process. I'm really hoping to learn some valuable information and do a little networking, but I honestly have no idea what to expect. Who knows, maybe I'll end up doing yet another round of revisions based on something I've learned. Although at this point, I'm not sure there's anything more I can add or change; that is, until perhaps an agent or editor gives me suggestions. Sigh.

It's time to step away from In My Mind's Eye now, though. I mean, at least revision-wise. I'm too close to it and I'm starting to doubt everything all over again. This happens every time I read a good YA novel, too (and I read at least one a week). But when I go back and reread it after stepping away for a couple weeks, I think it's pretty damn good. It's just that the more I sit and pore over it, the more I start to question everything I've written. The more I wonder if this will actually go anywhere. If I've spent over a year of my life writing something that will just end up in countless slush piles.

But anyway...let's stop that negativity, shall we?

So, for now I need to continue on compiling my agent list, and I also need to work on my synopsis. It's written and I kept it to three pages, but I'd still like to try to cut it down a bit. Not every agent asks for one, but they still say you should have one ready to go, just in case. I'd much rather be prepared and able to give an agent what they ask for right away, too.

Fingers crossed, kids...fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment