Monday, December 20, 2010

holiday craziness


Whew. I feel like I've been running totally nonstop since last week, and it's really starting to wear on me a bit. For over a week now I've been scrambling to finish shopping, bake cookies, wrap presents, have a social life, go to Christmas parties, etc. Oh, and eat. I've been eating a ton of delicious food. I'm happy to say that as of this past weekend, my shopping and wrapping are DONE. Our living/dining room is filled with pretty sparkly presents everywhere. Yay. Still none under the tree for me though...ahem. I do need to bake another batch of M&M cookies, because somehow those seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, I'm totes excited for this coming weekend. Christmas Eve is one of my absolute favorite days of the year. We always spend the day at my Gramma's house, eating her fabulous Lake Erie perch and homemade pierogies. And her mushroom soup- I'm not a huge soup fan, but I make an exception for this stuff. It's definitely my favorite meal of the year, even topping Thanksgiving. We stuff ourselves silly, do our gift exchange, and generally just enjoy hanging out with each other. Afterwards, Dan and I go home and open our gifts to each other before heading out to the east side. We started a new tradition about five years ago- we go out there in the evening, hang with my brother and seeester in law, order Chinese food & watch Christmas Vacation (which, I might add, we haven't watched yet this holiday season...what's up with that??). Christmas morning is spent at my parent's house, opening gifts and making breakfast, then we head to Dan's mom's for the rest of the day. It's definitely a crazy time, but I wouldn't change anything about it.

Sometimes I find myself getting a little sad though. My wonderful, awesome, hilarious Grampa passed away on December 22nd back in 1997. I honestly can't believe it's been that long, and ohhh how I wish Dan had gotten to meet him. Then about five years ago or so, my sweet Grandma O passed away around this time as well. I was her "little mouse", and it's one of my biggest regrets that I missed visiting her in the hospital before she passed. I remember when I was really little, every Christmas she would give me an ornament right off her tree, and I have those ornaments on my tree today. I miss them so much, but it really makes me cherish the moments I have left with my last Gramma. She amazes me with everything she still does at age 84.

So here's to another crazy busy week and good times with family and dear friends ahead. Remember what this season is truly about. It's so easy to get lost in all the materialistic aspects of Christmas at times, but it's truly about showing the people who mean the most to you how much you care about them.

Well, and eating lots of good food, too. ;o)

3 comments:

  1. can't wait either! i literally agree with EVERYTHING you said here! love you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post, Joanna. I miss my grandparents like crazy too. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelly! You too!

    And Cleen, soooo looking forward to Friday! XOXO

    ReplyDelete