Thursday, September 9, 2010

Historical stuff

It's been a busy few days, so I don't mean to be ignoring the blog here, but things have been a little crazy. Well, at work anyway. I've been spending my evenings in true nerd style with my nose in a book. Specifically, a book called Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen. My sis in law lent it to me a long time ago- to bring on my honeymoon actually, I think- and I brought it, but never started it. It's a huge paperback, another one of those historical fiction novels my sis in law loves so much. I've never really been into the historical/time period stuff. At least, I wasn't until Debbie Lamb introduced me to the Outlander series. But I left the historical stuff at that series. I guess I kinda figured nothing could really compare to Diana Gabaldon's writing.

But now I'm finding myself fascinated by these books. I got all into the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig (again, thanks to seeester), which takes place in early 19th century England. Through a Glass Darkly is set in 18th century France & England. I think I'm more amazed at the author's talents to truly transport the readers back in time. It's something special to be able to write dialogue and descriptions set in that time frame. I think, anyway. So much research must be done to be able to write as though the author was really part of that time period.

When I become a successful author (ahem), I'm totally writing a book set in the 1940's. WWII era. It's still going to be YA, but from a teenager's perspective back then. I have the best resource too- my awesome Gramma. I'm not sure if I'm more excited to write the book, or just to sit and listen to all her stories from back in the day. I can't wait to hear about how she met my Grampa, all the dancing and crazy things they used to do. So it'll be loosely based on her life and stories- with her permission, of course.

But for now, I need to move forward with Sophie and Brodie. One step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. so...do you actually have time set aside to go and talk with gramma? if so...i'd love to listen too! that's the only historical era i'm interested in, really. and well...i would just love to be there. please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know when I start "interviewing" her! It's been on my mind for a while now though. So probably soon. I just don't want to end up sidetracked from what I'm working on now.

    ReplyDelete