Saturday, August 28, 2010

Up Late

I totally shouldn't be awake right now. You know how sometimes your mind just won't turn off? Your body is exhausted, but you can't quiet all the thoughts & ideas racing around your head? Yea. That was me from about 6 am til I finally gave up and got out of bed at 8. Pretty sure a nap will be in order later.

Last night my good friend Debbie came over to watch the last 5 episodes of the first season of The Vampire Diaries on my DVR. We ate Chinese food, drank wine, and watched these two fine specimens for about 4 1/2 hours:

Meeeeeow. Hello, Salvatore Brothers. If you don't watch The Vampire Diaries, gaahhhh why not??? It's such a good show. The writing is witty, funny, scary, snarky and exciting. And hello? Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley (above) certainly provide enough eye candy for 45 minutes of your time.

Oh, you're not a 13 year old girl? Well, me neither, obs. And I love it. But then again, I've been into all things vampire since I was around 13. The Lost Boys? Yes, please- can quote every line. Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire series? Read 'em all at least a few times in junior high. I know I have a vampire novel started in my crate of books somewhere. But, at this point, who wants to write yet another Twilight wannabe? I love the Twilight series as well, of course, I freely admit that. But seriously...damn you, Stephenie Meyer, for ruining anyone else's chances of writing a successful vampire series.

Anyway. Debbie left around 11:30, and I grabbed my lap top, intending to turn it off and head up to bed for the night. I'd had 3 big glasses of wine and was buzzed and sleepy, and my contacts were killing me. Instead, I found myself starting a new section of In My Mind's Eye that I'll have to tie in later. There was a scene unfolding in my head that I just had to get down. It's sort of a pivotal point in the little love-triangle-that-really-isn't-much-of-a-love-triange I have going on. I would add a snippet here, but it would give way too much away. I ended up writing three full pages, over 1,100 words. And was up rereading them and changing things here and there until about 1:30 in the morning. Whoopsie.

So, I'm tired today, but it was worth it. Any progress is good. I've given myself an end of the year deadline to have the first draft completed, so I need to keep moving forward as much as possible.

Thank you, Damon and Stefan Salvatore, for inspiring me to write like a fiend last night. Sometimes it doesn't take much. Wink, wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment