Monday, August 30, 2010

I heart books

I love buying books. I love owning them, being able to look back through my bookshelves and remember how much I loved certain stories. I rarely ever sell my books back or give them away, unless I thought something was a real stinker. Soon, I'm going to have to ask my dad to build me another bookshelf. My current ones are getting a little out of control.

I buy most of my books from Half Priced Books or off Ebay's Half.com website. I just ordered two books today for under $5 each- and that included the shipping costs, my friends. I don't mind reading "gently used" copies at all. Most of the books I've gotten from Half.com are in decent shape too. I've never gotten anything that's like, missing pages or written all over and unreadable. For someone who likes to buy at least a few books a month, HPB and Half.com are a godsend. It's certainly not like I'm made of money over here.

That being said, I think I'm finally going to venture into that crazy place that lets you borrow books for FREE, as long as you promise to bring them back. Yep, I'm talking about the library. I could also mean my sister in law's spare bedroom- she has way more books than I have!- but right now I'm dying to read more YA stuff. What exactly are the kids into these days? Of course you have your big series like Harry Potter & Twilight, but what about the lesser-known stuff? I just found a couple YA authors I'm dying to check out- Cecil Castellucci (this month's book club author, thanks to yours truly), Eileen Cook (author of What Would Emma Do which I read a few weeks ago- I would love to write like her! So funny), Maggie Stiefvater (she writes a werewolf series), and today Holly told me about Suzanne Collins & her Hunger Games series. There are so many others too. I'm seriously going to go broke if I start buying all these books at once, half-priced or not.

Although who am I kidding? Once I love an author, I have to OWN everything by him or her. But, at least this way I can check things out for free first, right?

Is it sad that I'm actually a little nervous to go into a library? I'm pretty sure the last time I set foot in one was when I was in college. I know it's ridiculous, but I might need a tutorial on how they work these days. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I plan on stopping one day after work this week. There are THREE libraries I could potentially hit on my way home from work. Three!! It's ludicrous that I haven't checked one of them out yet.

I might have to beat down some kids for the books I want though...heh.

2 comments:

  1. Get to a library STAT, girl!! I wish I had the money/space to buy all my books but since I don't I practically LIVE at the library. It is my secod home :o) Oh, and I am currently reading the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy and it is definitely a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be scurrrrrrrred! libraries are an interesting place...where you'll find interesting PEOPLE! i think they're exciting! :o)

    ReplyDelete