Thursday, September 6, 2012

striking similarities

When we first decided we were going to get a kitten, all I knew is that I wanted another male ginger cat.  I just love the temperament of the gingers, and we had to get another boy for Stew.  Less conflict, I figured.  I wasn't looking for another Ollie, I really wasn't.  Ollie was one of a kind and I knew I'd never find another cat like him.  Nor did I want to.  I wanted a fresh start, something new to share my heart with.

When we found Gus, I knew it was meant to be.  I'd almost given up on finding a male ginger- at that point I just wanted a kitten.  But there he was, just waiting at the shelter for me. 

Gus is almost six months old now and probably weighs about five pounds, which was how much Ollie weighed before he passed away.  But Gus is still very kitten-ish.  He's gotten a lot bigger, but he still has the little kitten head and hasn't fully grown into his ridiculously long tail yet. 

As he's gotten older, I'm not gonna lie- there are moments I feel like I'm looking at Ollie.  I never wanted to compare the two, but I guess it can't really be helped.  He's a snuggler just like Ollie was, always curled up next to me in bed at night.  He likes his wet food warmed up like Ollie did.  He's starting to beg for people food like crazy- just like Ollie always did (although I have NOT given in to him- no more of that!).

And then there are the physical aspects.  Rather than try to describe them, let me share some pics:

  Ollie, snuggling on his favorite blanket

Gus, snuggling on Ollie's favorite blanket
 
Ollie loaf of bread-style, his favorite way to sit

  Gus loaf of bread style...just started doing this

 Ollie cashed out
 
 Gus cashed out
 

I mean...I just...it's almost creepy, isn't it??
 
Whether Gus actually has part of Ollie's "soul" or whatever...well, it doesn't really matter.  He definitely has a piece of my heart.  I love that little stinker, death breath and all.  


1 comment: