Monday, June 27, 2011

Isn't It Good...

This past weekend was fantastic as far as getting some good writing time in. I was super motivated to write, so write I did! My new WIP is now nearing the 10,000 word mark, with about 3,000 of those words brand spankin' new as of Saturday. I'm starting to feel the story unravel as I write it. I'm not worried anymore about the things I was questioning so much in the beginning. I'm just allowing it to come out as I write it. I'm already attached to my characters and I can't wait to get back to them. I was so concerned at first about how it was all going to come together...but I just have to tell you guys, sometimes when I get going even I don't know where I'm pulling this shizz from. Someone once asked me in regards to my last story "How do you come up with so many words?" My honest answer is: I don't know. I don't know where they come from, but they need to get out. And plus, making stuff up is just so much fun. You really should try it sometime.

A little sidenote: my inspiration for this book is the song Norweigan Wood by the Beatles. You'll see it pop up from time to time in the story, specifically these lyrics from it:

I once had a girl
or should I say
She once had me


And when I awoke, I was alone
this bird had flown


That's really all I can say about that at the moment...I actually haven't even worked that into the story yet, but it's coming. Very soon.

Anyway. So my motivation to write this weekend soared. My motivation to run, however, was non-existant. I'm not sure I mentioned here before, but I started training (well, I use the word "training" pretty loosely) to run a 5K- my goal is to be able to run at the Race for the Cure in September. I've been doing the Couch to 5K program for the past 3 weeks- I did week 2 a couple extra times. I had planned on running this weekend, but um, yea. Didn't happen. I'm going to hit the treadmill this afternoon and start week 3...it's not going to be pretty. I'm starting to feel the urge to give up on it, quite honestly, and just go back to the elliptical and pilates. I've never been a runner (I can't even count the one year I ran hurdles on the track team in high school, because I sucked so hard) and I'm not sure why I think I can start it up now in my old age. Running and me...well, we just don't click.

Happy thought of the day: Lending friends books I love so, so much. I just handed over Jellicoe Road this morning...that book almost damn near killed me. I love it so. Sweethearts is next for you, Patti! :o)

5 comments:

  1. Two things: thanks so much for the loan! I cannot wait to crack open Jellicoe Road. Secondly, you are not old! If I can do this running thing with my old, out of shape butt (which is bouncing less as I run, I'm happy to note, lol!), you surely can. You can accomplish ANYTHING you put your mind to, my sweet. And that concludes my pep talk for the day :) Congrats on the inspiration to pen a few hundred more words this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I'm seriously so glad I have you to help keep me motivated! I would've given up long ago. So thank you for the pep talk! I'll keep it up...and I hope you enjoy the pants off of Jellicoe Road!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on knocking out 3k in one weekend. That's awesome! Keep those words flowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for this new story!! Keep it up lady, you are doing great - in all areas: the writing and running stuff :) Wish I could be as dedicated as you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete